Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Taking One For The Team

My wife, The Bunny Queen, has put up with my sports ramblings for nearly eight years. Although not a huge sports fan, she has learned to tolerate my babbling and does have a better understanding of the sports world than she once did. She loves hockey. ...and I love her!

I am a native Texan and the Amarillo area is my home. I moved out to Georgia seven years ago and my then-girlfriend and I began our lives together. No offense to the natives, but Georgia has never felt like home to me. The Bunny Queen (BQ) virtually knows no other state BUT Georgia as her home.

Over the past three or so years, we have been trying to find jobs and move back to Amarillo, but it has been futile. It is very tough to do from this great a distance. This past January, we created a gameplan and with some modifications along the way, we have stuck to it. Today, the BQ proceeded with the next step of the plan.

She left me.

No, not like THAT!

The Bunny Queen has ended the 29-year Georgia chapter of her life to pursue a new job and a new place to live in the Amarillo area. I am staying behind until that happens to keep a constant flow of income and to eventually shut down things here. When she does find a job, I will then follow and my job search will begin anew.

Some will say that "you can never go home again" and things will have changed in the seven years I have been gone. This is true. In visits during this time, almost everything I was a part of is different. I'm not in college anymore, my grandfather has passed away, and the sports jobs I held are either nonexistent or changed to the point that I would not recognize them. But I still want to go back. There is a "home" feeling I cannot put into words that I get when I think about it or visit. Amarillo sure does not qualify as the most exciting place in the world (well, except for the ever-changing weather), but it is MY home.

Soon it will be OUR home.

I miss the BQ already. Even if she finds a job immediately, we will probably be apart a month, at least. She would not do this if she did not think it was the right thing for us. We know we are taking a chance, but it is a chance we are confident in taking. ...and I know the BQ is doing this for me which makes me want her even more.

I love you, Bunny Girl.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We in Amarillo eagerly await your eventual arrival. Amarillo is growing fast enough to keep you occupied, and if it's not then we'll just comb our whiskers, reconsider our cows and yield to your eminent domain.

8/17/2005 5:05 PM  
Blogger Hippity Hop said...

I didn't see this post when I visited your blog yesterday. I LOVE YOU Handsome!!!

8/19/2005 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home