Thursday, August 04, 2005

This Star is My Guide


Thank you, Mike. Thank you for making your decision with your heart and not with dollar signs.

Mike Modano, 15-year veteran of the Dallas Stars, signed a 5-year contract late Wednesday evening to remain with the only NHL franchise he has ever known. Virtually ever since I became a fan of the Minnesota North Stars back in 1987, Modano has been "with me." As a high school aged phenom, he was destined to become the number one overall draft pick back in 1988. I do not know hockey without Modano.

Modano took me on a whirlwind ride, maybe more than any other "non-game" situation I can remember in any sport. With the flurry of NHL happenings over the past few weeks, it was sickening to think that this hockey icon would no longer be a Star.

Soon after the lockout ended, the odds did not look good as Stars owner Tom Hicks did not wish to give Modano the length of contract he was looking for. Then, after Modano had talked with other teams, the Stars extended a 5-year contract. Things were looking bright like the North Star this past Tuesday night when Modano was "90 percent sure" he would sign and wanted to sleep on it.

Constantly checking Dallas websites throughout Wednesday and wondering when my chewed fingernails would start to bleed, there was no news until about 3 p.m. EDT.

"Modano rejects Stars latest offer."

That was one dip my virtual roller coaster was not expecting as I was desperately looking for the nearest motion sickness bag.

Mike! What happened??!?!

We now get the obligatory agent stating that the offer was not good enough and that other teams were offering more. (I hate agents.)

After the initial shock, I now begin searching Dallas sites again waiting for the dreadful word of which arch-enemy Modano would sign with (praying it would not be the Detroit Red Wings although they had not been mentioned in contract talks).

Later Wednesday evening, I was getting ready to turn on the Houston Astros game on the internet, when I check ESPN. "Modano accepts Stars latest offer."

Huh? Did I read that correctly?

Struggling to get the mouse to click on the link, my blood pressure tingles throughout my body. I read the article and slump back in my chair in utter relief like a long multiple-overtime game had just finished.

Although Modano had been offered up to $5 million more by other teams, according to The Dallas Morning News, he decided to remain loyal to the franchise that made him a Star. Modano had stated that his agent was "trying to protect him" as they compared the various offers. I'll give the agent the benefit of the doubt in this case, but I'm glad that there is one athlete out there that makes his own decisions.


Visions of Stars floated through my mind as this integral part of the puzzle is now complete. With so many questions in the air about the NHL and it's teams this year, there is no reason why the Stars cannot compete for the Stanley Cup in 2006. This will be a fun season.

By the time Modano's current contract ends, I will have "known" Mike for over two decades. Thank you, Mike, for introducing me to hockey and for giving me the pleasure of following your entire NHL career.


GO STARS!!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Your PR Pal said...

Cory and I were both a little surprised by Modano's turnaround, as well. But I was glad to see him with Dallas. After all, my Stevie's still with the Wings, and I think anytime a superstar stays with the team that drafted him for that long, there's something pretty admirable there.

On the other hand, I was thrilled to see Peter Forsberg is no longer with the Avs. The evil empire is crumbling!!!!

8/05/2005 2:47 AM  
Blogger Wedgie said...

Hello Sportslady...it is nice to "meet" you. You do a great job on the tube. We will miss you when we head back to the Texas Panhandle.

I totally agree. Loyalty to one team is virtually gone in the sports world. What made rivalries of days' past so special was that you could learn to "love to hate" certain teams as they kept the same players year after year.

I have the utmost respect for Stevie Y coming back for his 22nd year with one franchise. ...and what is happening to Colorado? They are getting crunched in the free agency situation.

8/05/2005 8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home